1. Assess for Danger/Safety for Self and
2. Consider the Mechanism of Injury
3. Evaluate the Level of Responsiveness
4. Address Medical Needs
5. Observe and Identify
6. Connect with the Individual
What specific strategies may be utilized to connect
challenging, emotionally distraught, individuals?
The "Five D's"
7. Ground the Individual
- What can I say if I find myself at a loss for
8. Provide Support
- Are there specific guidelines to know what is
okay to say?
- How can I deal with peoples' feelings and still
get the job done?
- How can I become more empathic?
- Examples of empathic responses/statements
- How may empathy be utilized with a potentially
9. Normalize the Response
- The "Validation Technique"
10. Prepare for the Future